Saturday, January 6, 2018

515

This is post number 515.  I guess that's better than giving my age, or calculating the days to my retirement.


Numbers.  Some people have a affinity - like me, I can remember addresses and phone numbers, my grandmother's phone number was Atlantic 2 - 9508.  That was back when exchanges had names, not numbers.  We lived at 1724 Poe Street in Minnesota.  There are 5,280 feet to a mile and 12 inches to a foot.


No, no, I will not make you do the math!  People hate math, especially some women!  I've seen tee shirts that say



I have to laugh because there are so many things that keep us from doing math in our heads anymore...calculators on our phones, registers that give the change amount so you don't have to count back, no one HAS to do math unless they want to.
 

My youngest granddaughter can do math in her head.  It's funny because you can actually see her face change when she does it.  Her sister will look at her and say something like 'oh for goodness sake, just use a piece of paper'.  Her face is kind of glazed over for a minute and then before a pencil can be produced she's got the answer.

I don't understand the new math, or Common Core or whatever way their teaching now, but she certainly does.

When my daughter was in school she took algebra, and she always said there was never going to be a time when she would use it after she graduated.  Many people are of that same opinion.  But now, ask her what a pitcher's ERA is, or how many man-hours a project will take and she can tell you.

I don't tell her it's algebra.

Come to the math side, we have pi.

Add on...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your visit today!