Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Green Thing... and Other Things

While getting my Rita Fix today, I discovered another really wise philosophical position on Being Green... you know, the modern definition of being green, like taking the bus to work or making a compost pile instead of using your garbage disposal.


I believe in the concept of good stewardship of the earth.  I'd much rather take the bus and read, if it wouldn't take me twice as long to get to work.  I pack my lunch four days a week in a reusable lunch bag and take things in reusable containers. 
I have reusable mugs for tea. 
I grow lettuce and tomatoes in the brief Wisconsin summer, and I shop vegetable stands and farmers' markets when I find them. 

I took a carbon footprint test this weekend.  Oh dear, I am afraid that my solo drive to work nearly cancels out the farmers' markets and library card!!  And I forget to take my own grocery bags about 50% of the time. 

BUT we USE those plastic bags to dispose of doggie do and cat litter!  And hey, once I even cut the bags into strips and crocheted a reusable tote from them!


If you want to read a great story about how 'green' we were back in the day, when we were kids (or if you're younger, maybe when your mom was a kid), hop on over to Rita's blog and read the March 26 post here:  http://ritassewfun.blogspot.com/

Another cool blog I've added to my list is by Samina-- who is lately retired?  Am I right, Samina?  She used to work at American Sewing Guild headquarters, and now she's joining us in the bloggosphere with her Sew Everything blog, here:  http://seweverythingblog.wordpress.com/

On this day in history:
  • In 1885 the first commercial moving picture film was produced in Rochester NY by George Eastman.
  • In 1951 the U.S. Air Force flag was approved.
  • In 1953 Dr. Jonas Salk announced a new vaccine to prevent Polio.
  • in 1969 Marcus Welby, M.D., a made for TV movie, was shown on ABC.  Remember Robert Young??
  • in 1990 Billy Crystal hosted the 62nd Annual Academy Awards, and Driving Miss Daisy won Best Picture of 1989.
If these folks were still alive it would be their birthday:

  • Playwright Tennessee Williams
  • U.S. Army General William Westmoreland
  • Actor Sterling Hayden -- wasn't he the voice of Winnie The Pooh for Disney?

These people ARE celebrating today!
  • Sandra Day O'Connor
  • Leonard Nimoy (Live long and prosper!)
  • Bob Woodward
  • Erica Jong
  • Leeza Gibbons
If today is your birthday, many happy returns of the day! 

Sew on...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your visit today!