Monday, July 1, 2019

Holiday Week

This week is a national holiday... Independence Day is Thursday, July 4, 2019!



I normally would be working at the quilt shop on Thursdays, but since this is a holiday, I will not be there, since we're closed.  But after last week, I'm glad to be off two of my regular three days of work this week!

Vacation Bible School was a blast.  The staff did an amazing job!  There were somewhere around 68 little attendees, half of whom were five and under.  I was crew leader for a group of six; three threes, two fours and a five year old.  One cried all day for two days; one sucked her thumb and needed to be carried for four of the five days, and the two boys ran ahead of everyone, regardless of whether they were going in the right direction or not!  But we learned a lot, and sang and danced a lot, and generally had a really great time.

But now my knee hurts.  A LOT.

I hope to spend much of this week sitting and resting the limb.  

today I finished reading David McCullough's book 1776.  I really enjoy David's books; previously I read The Johnstown Flood and really enjoyed that.  I've also seen him on Book TV on CSPAN 2, although lately that's been nothing but political discussions and I don't enjoy those...  But 1776 was a great read!  It reads like a novel except that you recognize the major players as real people.  It's the story of the Continental Army under General George Washington right up through the end of the first year of the American Revolution.  

I learned several things I didn't know before.  Like the war wasn't a war for independence at first, and that the 'founding fathers' who wrote the Declaration of Independence were mostly non-combatants with a couple of exceptions.  

If you are looking for a good book about what it means to be American, I can recommend 1776.

 Next up for me is John Adams, also by David McCullough.


I'm also slogging my way through Alexander Hamilton's biography, although that goes from his early childhood all the way through his death from dueling with Aaron Burr, and I think it may take me as long to read it as it did for him to live it!

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for delivery of the biographies of Nathaniel Greene and Henry Knox two of Washington's best military leaders.  Knox owned a bookstore.  He might be my favorite Revolutionary General of all time!

Hope you're enjoying your summer too.

Read on...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your visit today!