Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Blue Monster Costume, Redux 2017

"Memories, pressed between the pages of my mind
Memories, sweetened through the ages just like wine --"


as sung by the late Elvis Presley, memories come back in sweet little packages, making us happy...

Or not.

Last night my youngest grand Miss A came bopping down the stairs at about 7 p.m. and started digging in my pantry.  I asked her what she was looking for.  She announced that she needed party brownies for the class at school, for the store because she lost her business and now was an employee of someone else's store and they were selling brownies.



Say what? 

OK to back up a bit, the fourth grade Genius Hour project was to find a product you could make and sell, set up a store, pay rent, sell your stuff, and see how it turned out.  Play money was used.  She made some hand warmers, priced them at a dollar each, sold some but not all of her product.  Rent was $20 and she couldn't pay it, so she sold something less than 20 items.

Another student who was making and selling brownies had lots of money so he bought her store and her stock.  She then became his employee.  She was asked to make some brownies and bring them in to sell on Wednesday, to which she agreed.  On Monday.

Then she forgot to tell anyone.  Until Tuesday at 7 p.m.

OK so we looked at recipes and decided that since the grocery store is a mile away, a brownie mix would be the easiest way out of this dilemma.  Gramps went to the store.

We baked between rounds of homework converting grams to kilograms and back.  Tears ensued.  She has a good math brain but kept saying OMG this is so hard!!  She was tired and cranky.  So was I.  I said words under my breathe about teachers who can set up a business enterprise for 40 kids but can't adequately explain multiplying by 1,000 to just one.

Meanwhile the brownies were finished.


They were cooling when she went home to go to bed.  I cut them while they were warm because that is what the box said to do.  I went to bed late.

This morning we got up early and applied the "Party" aspect to the brownies before breakfast.  I like to let the frosting set before I package things up for transport on the big yellow school bus -- although I'm sure the kids will eat anything with sprinkles on it regardless of the appearance.


This was transpiring in front of my daughter, Miss A's mom.  I said "this is just like the blue monster costume you needed for that play when YOU were in elementary school."

She said "I thought it was ORANGE."

I said "It was orange, and it was orange because you asked for it on a Sunday night for Monday.  All I had was orange fabric, so you had to have them change the script."

She said "I told you about that WEEKS in advance!!"


Memories, pressed between the pages of my mind...

'nuff said...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your visit today!