Monday, March 9, 2015

Pet Peeves

We all have them.  Why?

 
My daughter calls me the Grammar Queen.  I know I'm FAR from perfect but some things just grate on my ears.  I cannot listen to the local news lately without laughing out loud at the grammatical errors.  A few things that just drive me crazy are:

  • On one station, the anchors will make statements and they're not full sentences, such as "A bad accident on the freeway this morning."  What, it happened, there will be one, what???
  • The misuse of apostrophes in print -- on signs, wherever:  Martin's Car Wash -- OK,  Car's Washed Here -- not so much.
  • The use of the word 'myself' when it is not appropriate.  "Please call John or myself as soon as possible".  Leave out John.  Would you say "call myself"?  That one just blows my mind any time I hear it!
And careless pronunciation  is like fingernails on a blackboard for me.  I know we have a lot of funny place names, but seriously, if you're going to be on the news in Wisconsin, learn to SAY it!  Also learn to say WAU-kesha, O-CON-omowoc, and New BER-lin (as opposed to New Ber-LIN.)

I'm ashamed to say it but I judge performances of the national anthem by any singer or group -- based on whether they say 'per-il-ous' or 'per-o-lis'... 

Ain't it fine over by the bubbler??  (If you understand that phrase you grew up in Milwaukee...) 

I know, loosen up!

I'll try.

Sew on...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your visit today!