Friday, February 28, 2014

You Should Write A Book...

People always say that. Some people actually think it! I think it sometimes. I SHOULD write a book. If I wrote a book about my life I wonder if people would think it's a complete work of fiction...

But I AM writing a book, of sorts. You all know about baby books, right? I'm afraid I wasn't very good at that when my own kids were little. I guess it was too time consuming when I had actual kids to deal with. It was much more fun to hold them and play with them than it was to write about them. Although I'm so sorry I didn't write down some of the funny stories so I'd remember them later.

When Miss E was born, being the first grand, we took lots of pictures. I tried to put together a scrapbook and for a while I was pretty good at doing the pages. I got up to about 18 months of age, recording the milestones as I saw them...

She's 12 years old now.

When she was about 4 or 5 years old I bought some of that writing paper with the blue solid and dashed lines that kids used to practice their letters. I printed some pictures and started writing The Book of E. I wrote simple stories in language a small child could read and understand. There was one about her favorite stuffed animal, and one about a Halloween costume we made together.

I put ribbon through the holes in the paper and put the book on the bookshelf, and always intended to go back and finish it.

Enter Miss A, now aged six and a half. Curious as all get-out and a good crafter, she's always writing books and drawing pictures to go with them. Last week she discovered that Book of E on the shelf. Reading it one morning, she yelled from the bedroom "Hey Gramma, what's this book?" I told her the story and she went back to reading.

Miss A: "Gramma, why aren't there any stories about me?"

Me: "Well, you weren't born yet."

Miss A: "Oh, OK."

A bit later: "Gramma, here's one about me. Why isn't there a picture of me?"

Me: "Well, I guess I wasn't finished yet."

In a few minutes I could hear her talking to the teddy bears and she was pulling papers together. "Gramma, I need you to make some blue lines on this paper."

To Be Continued...

Sew on!