Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Calgon, Take Me Away!

Winter in Wisconsin is always an adventure, and almost always too cold and too long.


Yesterday the temperature in Milwaukee was reportedly 47 degrees F. I couldn't swear to that because I was indoors from 8 a.m. to after 6 p.m. But my desktop gadget was showing 40s, which was amazing. The last time it was above freezing was mid-December!

Today I gave my granddaughter a ride to school. As I was watching the kids get out of cars and walk up to the school, I could not help but notice a small pod of middle school boys wearing SHORTS!!

Yes, winter in Wisconsin does make you a little crazy. 

The reality is that when it's warmer, it snows or rains.  We had about 6 inches of new snow on Monday, then yesterday lots of it melted.  So from white and pristine to melted, black and ugly in a day.


There's a young mom who comes to pick up her kids from Sunday School and she has recently been wearing shoes without socks and a light jacket. I said "oh boy, looking at your feet makes me cold!".

She said "I just can't do it anymore! I can't stand wearing those big winter boots!" (Her kids are always dressed warmly, so since she's an adult and not my daughter, I can sympathize and I don't need to approve or disapprove. But it still makes me cold to look at her bare feet in those shoes!)

I am wearing several layers of clothing today and I'm still chilly... socks, shoes, three layers of tops, and a scarf around my neck and shoulders. Where the heck is a hot flash when you need one???


Calgon, please, someplace warm today? Hmmm, maybe a nice hot bath would be good.

Sew on...