Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Birthday Wishes

One of the things that I've always tried to do is to call my children on the morning of their birthday to say happy birthday and I love you.

My mom didn't make a big fuss about birthdays when I was a kid.  I came from a big family and we didn't have a lot of money to spend on parties and presents.  Mom would bake a cake and put candles in it and we'd sing the happy birthday song to the birthday boy or girl.  Some of us had birthdays that were very close, so we might have to share.  My brother D's birthday is six days after mine, T and C are two days apart in September, and my brother K and sister are three days apart in November.



The November birthdays always had a candle in pumpkin pie.  K says he didn't have a birthday cake until he was in high school.

My best kid birthday was when I was 16.  My mom invited my boyfriend to come over after school, and he joined us for a cake I didn't have to share with D.  It was very sweet.

My worst birthday was when I was six.  My uncle gave me a pair of roller skates and I fell in the driveway and skinned up my knees.  The skates had plastic wheels, the driveway was lumpy and cracked, and get this people:  I AM NO ATHLETE!!  I didn't master skates until the age of 15.

My son is having a milestone birthday.  It's the big


...which is really strange because I am only 39 myself!  Ha ha, you know I got married when I was just an infant.  And if you believe that one, I have a bridge you may be interested in buying. 

Once when we were getting a quote for some insurance, the salesman asked my husband if the kids were from his first marriage.  Oh boy, THAT did not go over well.  No sale that night! 

So sonny boy was born at 8:38 a.m.  I usually call him around that time and ask if he remembers what we were doing all those years ago.  That's always good for a chuckle.

Now my daughter was born at 3:22 a.m.  I wait to call her later in the morning because believe me, neither of us would want to go there for that 'actual time' phone call! 

So dear son, love you lots.  Happy birthday.  You turned out OK.  I'm proud of you. 

And don't forget to eat some

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your visit today!