Friday, April 20, 2012

Creativity & Inspiration -- Where Do YOU Get It?

I work for a bunch of engineers and planners.  They're heavily into the calculated and precise.  Measurements are made in minute increments.  Stress levels and capacity are known quantities and have to fall within predetermined tolerances.  Slide rules and calculators are the norm.
I work in the accounting/finance field.  There are the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles that dictate your actions on a daily basis.  Numbers have to meet budgeted expectations within a prescribed percentage, a SMALL percentage.  Endless analysis takes place when you miss the target!

My vocation is finance but my avocation is fiber arts. 

Let me say that the left brain, know for mathematical ability, critical thinking and logic never leaves town.  It's what allows me to structure my time to get tasks accomplished, helps keep me organized so I can locate things and remember where they are, and helps me think through processes to solve problems.  But my creative right brain will often bring in the crazy or unusual to make the project spark, or use old things in new ways.  Sometimes it lets you take inspiration from unusual sources.

Did you ever read the book "Everything I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten"?  Yeah, sometimes the answer is very simple.  You can get it from a child.

For example, if you don't have a piece of fabric the color you need, why not make another fabric into that color?


And you can use lots of little pieces to make a big piece.  If you don't like something, you can cut it off...

Be proud of yourself!!  Present a happy face to the world.


Don't take life so seriously that you can't have a little fun.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your visit today!