Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Bed Runner Project

My helper, the Inspector...
Project number two on the UFO list is a bed runner for my master bedroom.  I started it several years ago and it got set aside.  Mostly it's pieces of things left over from other red and white projects, but there are some intentionally created blocks that didn't tell me what they wanted to be, just that they needed to exist.




One section is some of the nine-patches that I love to make with little left over chunks of fabric cut into two inch squares.  You can do so much with nine patch units.  And they're restful and relaxing to sew.




The middle section is appliqued hearts.  They are very small hearts, so I didn't sew them down, I just stuck them on with Wonder Under and quilted them on the background.  They're alternated with four patch blocks made with 2.5 inch strips.  The bottom row is pinwheels and squares.



The runner had to be wide enough to hang over the sides of the mattress, so I filled it out with pieces of a pretty red on red print.  The back is a yard of Kaffe Fasset print that I got as a part of the drawing I won at Quiltagious in Mukwonago.

And I QUILTED it!!  Under the theory of 'finished is better than perfect', I did some echo quilting inside the seam lines of the four- and nine-patches, I X-d the solid blocks, and quilted around the outside of the hearts.  Then, getting comfortable with the sewing machine and a little wild and crazy, I put figure 8s in one of the borders.

I sewed on the binding, and now just have to stitch down the last four inches of binding to be DONE!

Front

And back.
The runner ended up at 72 inches by 26 inches.  Just right to keep your feet warm on a cold Wisconsin winter night.

Two down... and I'm not saying how many to go.  LOL!

Sew on...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your visit today!