Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Praying for Discernment

Since time immemorial, people have struggled to gain leadership positions, in many cases in order to lord it over the people they feel are less than their equals.

I don't usually get political.  I don't discuss my voting preferences, although I would hope that people could tell that I'm on the side of good and fair by how I act and how I speak.



I'm so disappointed in our leadership right now.  The opportunities to do good and be fair are there but no one is taking them.  But we saw this coming, we shouldn't be surprised.  I know I am not.

 
The news is often one-sided.  You don't get the full story in the headlines, and lots of folks don't read the whole story or do their own  due diligence.  If it's on the TV or the internet, it must be true, right?  If it's on Twitter I have to believe it, isn't that the case?

 
 
My ancestors were immigrants.  They didn't flee oppression necessarily but they did come to America to have better lives than they had in their homeland.  Not everyone comes here because they hate us or want to blow us up. 

The Bible says discernment is one of the gifts of the spirit.  Discernment is defined as the ability to  perceive, as in something hidden or obscure, or to comprehend mentally.  I am praying that our leadership develops or receives the gift of discernment so that the downtrodden and the persecuted do not get painted with the same brush as the devious and mean spirited.

 
The current leadership has given the small-minded tacit permission to be cruel and hateful.  You can despise a whole group of people just because of where they live, in spite of laws that say you cannot discriminate on basis of race, gender, age or religion.  I guess hate is the new black, as the saying goes.

 
This is not what America stands for, at least not the America of which I am or want to be a citizen.  Remove the words "under God" from the pledge?  I think it's already essentially gone.  Either that or we're just as bad as the crusaders of the Middle Ages, doing awful things in His name.

But this isn't the first time, and sad to say unless Armageddon comes, it probably won't be the last.  Here is some insight if you're interested...  Linked in on Barring Immigrants


Lord help us...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your visit today!