Friday, June 20, 2014

Being Human

hu·man be·ing
noun
noun: human being; plural noun: human beings; noun: humanbeing; plural noun: humanbeings
  1. a man, woman, or child of the species Homo sapiens, distinguished from other animals by superior mental development, power of articulate speech, and upright stance.
Sometimes I wonder...
 
The part about the Superior Mental Development, is that optional?
 
In our culture, we are experiencing the phenomenon called Mean Girls.  There was even a movie by that name.  Now girls are not the only creatures to be mean, by any estimation.  Boys, men, and women are mean.  People are mean to strangers, but sometimes people are the meanest to those whom they are supposed to love.  And there is no shortage of people who verbally abuse small children, the elderly, the kid behind the cash register, the hotel clerk, pets, well you get the picture.
 
Why??
 
I know, there is no answer for this.  It was a rhetorical question. I have been hearing stories recently about people who are just unable to be civil to their fellow humans, let alone actually nice.  My mother was a believer in the Golden Rule, you know the one:
 
Do unto others as you would have them to unto you.  Matthew 7:12
 
Yes, it's biblical.  The second half of that is 'for this is the law and the prophets'.  Or 'this summarizes the law and the prophets' from another translation.  this means that the Law (the ten commandments) says to do it, and the Prophets have told people what will happen if they don't.
 
I know judgment will come for everyone someday.  But sometimes someday just isn't soon enough.  People who hurt, maim, shoot, stab, kill other people, yes their day will come.   Some of them might get their dues in this life, but many will not.  It's hard to live knowing that bad people might escape punishment, live high, do whatever they like and get away with it now.
 
But remember those who say bad things about others, gossip and spread falsehoods, insult others, tease and bully, those people are just as guilty as the ones who physically abuse or murder.  It's just as hurtful to the person to whom it happens.  If you kill me my troubles are over, but if you bully me I live on with the pain.  I don't know which is worse but I have an idea.
 
George H.W. Bush had it right with his Random Acts of Kindness.  He was pretty clueless about real life a lot of the time, like most rich people are.  He probably has lawyers who could sue anyone who tried to bully him!
 
So I beg you, be nice to your fellow humans.  My mom was also fond of saying to us "edify"... which means build up.  Again biblical, which I didn't know at the time.  She's say "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything".  1
Corinthians 10:23  "I have the right to do anything," you say--but not everything is beneficial. "I have the right to do anything"--but not everything is constructive.
 
Dear Lord, help me guard my unruly tongue!  And help me to remember that every dog has his day even when it's obvious that it isn't mine.
 
Oh, and be especially kind to animals.  Who are sometimes more like the definition of human than are humans!
 
Peace...