Thursday, May 15, 2014

Birthday Presents

I went to Nancy's Notions Sewing Weekend a couple of weeks ago.  It's been held the same weekend as my birthday for several years now.  I feel that this fact allows me to buy myself something nice that weekend, something beyond the usual fabric, patterns and notions.

This year I took some classes from Gail Yellen of Gail Patrice Designs.  One was called Cosmetic Sergery.  It sounded interesting, and since I have a serger that I like, I thought I'd see what she had to say.

I was impressed with everything she knows about how stitches form and other technical stuff.  I mainly use my machine to sew seams and finish raw edges so I was prepared to be wowed and I was very pleased.

After seeing the ruffles she made with a few simple adjustments, I was SO ready to go home and do that!  Miss A loves ruffles... and she likes skirts with ruffles most of all.  After watching Gail do a ruffle in mere seconds, I knew what I was buying!  New feet!

Now seriously, when I told people that, they laughed...

I picked up the clear foot, just because I could and at 33% off, why not?


I also got the cording foot.  Gail made this really cool button cording using this foot and skinny elastic with decorative thread.  I'm in!

I got an elastic foot too, as long as they were on sale.  Gail showed how to add elastic to a waistband with the serger, then you just turn it under and topstitch.  True no-roll elastic!


And of course the ruffling foot.   I'm trying to type 'ruffler' but BlogSpot wants to spell check me.


So maybe if I get some time to sew, the grands will have some fancy summer skirts and dresses soon!  And when your birthday comes around, feel free to give yourself a gift you'll enjoy, whether people understand it or not!

Happy birthday to me. 

Sew on...