Monday, March 21, 2022

First Day of Spring, or NOT?


It may be meteorological spring, but here in Wisconsin winter hasn't gone around the corner yet!  We can still see Old Man Winter with our peripheral vision.  That door doesn't close until Memorial Day... or maybe the 4th of July!  
 

This picture was from the June of 1957.   I'm in the center sitting on the sidewalk.  My sister is on my mom's lap, and her sister JoAnne is holding a light jacket on her lap so I know it was cool that day.  You can see that my cousin Denise is wearing a hat and a sweater.  It might have been a Sunday, since we're so dressed up and my brother David looks pretty clean.  

I'm pretty sick of cold and snow right now.  I was out last week on a couple of very windy, cold days.  The dampness gets into your bones and makes live miserable sometimes.  I can understand why people go to Florida or Arizona in the winter.  But if you only go for a short vacation, doesn't it feel hard to come back to bleh?

My aunt and cousin went on a cruise in February.  They were in the Caribbean, they visited Honduras and the Bahamas.  They said it was wonderful until they got off the plane after returning and they didn't have their winter coats!

Snowbirds do it better I think,  they leave just before it gets really cold and they come back just before it gets really nice.  However, I wonder if I'd like living somewhere so warm in what should be winter.  What excuse would there be to curl up on the couch with a book while the fireplace burns?  Or to stay in for three days because the roads are all snow covered and slippery?  Ha!  

Nope.  Winter in Wisconsin is not for sissies, so I guess I'll just tough it out until something better comes along.

First day of spring?  Not at all... regardless of what the groundhog said last month, it ain't over until it's over!

Rock on...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your visit today!